Monday, February 13, 2012

i wonder what it's all about

on wednesday,
i wasn't feeling too happy.
i was driving around sulking when i saw a homeless man
standing on the side of the road holding a sign that read,
"honest & hungry".
i thought to myself,
"anna, when was the last time you gave to a homeless person?"
(i used to all the time).
i think the combination of this man's sign,
my situation,
& my mood
made me realize something important.
even though i may have hard times,
i still have a roof over my head,
family & friends who love & care about me,
good health,
a decent job,
& a full life ahead of me.
so you know what i thought next?
"sir, i like your sign.  & because i am not happy,
i want to make you happy."
so you know what i did?
i gave him all the cash in my wallet.
(granted) it was only a cluster of ones (i think),
but still, it was a decently sized cluster.
i don't know how much money i gave him,
but i don't care.
it felt so... relieving.

nothing does the heart more good
than a handful of service.
since that fateful night,
i have decided to make a goal.
it's a kind of late new year's resolution,
but i vote it still counts.
my goal will be to keep service in my heart;
to stop focusing on myself.
more specifically,
to volunteer at the homeless shelter
[at least] once every two weeks.
it's not much to start with, but, baby steps.

i miss this:
serving children who love & adore you so fully,
without any expectations.




3 comments:

  1. i love you anna. you have always been one to think of others. i really admire and look up to you. also you are an amazing writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good. I look forward to our lunch dates. I love you

    ReplyDelete