Tuesday, October 9, 2012

the 5 stages of incessant pop music

i think, some people actually like pop music.  i imagine they get in their cars, flip on the radio, & contently--no, excitedly listen to whatever new song some sell-out record company paid a pretty face to sing... & then they sing along to it.
not me--i don't do that.  i mean, i don't do that at first.  but sometimes, these darn bubblegum pop songs are unavoidably catchy.  this is the case with taylor swift's newish song, "we are never ever getting back together".

stage #1  -  denial
i was driving with my family when my brother nik first showed us the song.  he, being a loyal t. swift lover, showed it to the family & denied any idea that taylor swift could have co-written such pathetic lyrics to a song.  this is seriously a taylor swift song?  no way, i can't believe it.  the song wasn't licensed to be on youtube yet, so we could only hear distorted chipmunk versions of it.  i decided to give it the benefit of the doubt, until i got home & could hear the "real" version.


stage #2  -  anger
it was another week before i heard the "real" version of this song.  i had sat down in my car, devastated once i realized my ipod was dead, & reluctantly flipped on the radio.  (sometimes, i can't drive without music. literally.)  "....never ever ever getting back together.  you go talk to--" what the heck?  taylor, seriously?  what is wrong with artists these days?  i changed the station, only to hear "...remember when we broke up, the first time. saying this is it, i've had enough..."  so i turned off the radio & opted to listen to my 12 year old brother's cd mix he made 4 years ago of slightly less annoying rock-pop songs.



stage #3  -  compromising
a couple weeks later i was in st. george with some friends.  i had some unknown catchy tune stuck in my head.  ooooooh-ooo-oo-oo-ooooh  i couldn't help but sing it over & over again until my friend chimed in the rest of the lyrics, "this time, i'm telling you, i'm telling you, we--" crap!  that's that song? i hastily explained how i didn't realize what i was singing & we mutually expressed our dislike for it.  ....but it's so catchy!  & did you know the whole music video was made in one continuous shot?


stage #4  -  depression/defeat
after rationalizing my way into purchasing this song on itunes, i was overcome with disappointment.  i gave in again?  but this music is so bad.  i can't believe myself.  i am just as worthless as other pop-music sell-outs. the only thing that could drown out my own thoughts of self-degradation was the same bubblegum pop song that had started this whole mess.  but in a tantrum like manner, i exited itunes & shut off my computer without even putting the song onto my ipod.


stage #5  -  acceptance
i guess it's not thaaaaat bad... i wonder if nik likes it yet? will he judge me if i sing it around him..?  screw it.



ps:  this is my attempt at being funny.  sort of like one of my favorite blogs... www.hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Oh Anna! This is a great post. I like your attempt at being funny... it's very, well, funny! :)

    ReplyDelete