Sunday, April 8, 2012

free bird

book #5  outliers  by: malcolm gladwell
rating:  8
i generally don't read self-help or psychology books,
but i found this one very interesting.
gladwell discusses his theory on how people rise to success.
he suggests that it isn't simply luck & innovative hardwork
that creates people like steve jobs, rather,
people are born into prime situations that mobilizes the opportunity for their success.
i found this book to be a bit inspiring in looking at success.
i would recommend it to any person of highschool age + looking at life's possibilities,
as well as anyone looking to have a good (fairly easy) read.

the whole time i was reading outliers,
i couldn't help but examine the areas in my life which were
applicable to what gladwell was discussing;
dreams, life, careers etc.
& as i examined my own life,
i was constantly reminded of my free bird necklace:
a beautiful necklace that has a gold feather charm on it.
when i was given this necklace for christmas, i loved the style & beauty of it,
but what i found myself loving even more was what it represented;
accompanying it was a title card inside the box reading,
"FREE BIRD
make a wish & put on your necklace.  feathers are symbols of freedom.
they awaken our curiosity & open our hearts & minds to possibility.
wear your necklace as a reminder to follow your dreams..."
those of you who know me know that i am a dreamer.
i am a romantic, an idealist, a free spirit.
& when i read books like outliers & wear necklaces that represent being a free bird,
i am filled with an elated sense of possibility.
life is beautiful, daunting, & open to me.

two months ago, my boyfriend broke up with me.
(i doubt that comes as a surprise to anyone who reads my posts).
when someone i am crazy about puts me in a hopeless state of mind,
i try so hard to focus on anything but what's going on inside.
so, like any mature college student,
i started looking for ways i could runaway from my current situation.
in short,
the night after carson broke up with me i applied for
the university of alaska southeast (juneau campus).
i got in!
i was to go there fall of 2012 & time couldn't move fast enough.
it has been a dream of mine since junior high to live in alaska.
the mountains, trees, ocean life, weather & seclusion of it all is so enticing to me.
alas, this dream will have to wait a little longer.
last week i had an emotional break down,
when i realized that the combined expenses of tuition, housing, & cost of living
would be too much for what i can [independently] make before i'd leave.
i'm trying to stand on my own two feet.
i want to move out & slowly ween myself off of my parents' money.
the ability to do so before i'm married & have to is another dream of mine.
some dreams have to be put on the back-burner while other ones take precedence.
alaska will have to wait.
independence comes first.

anyway,
what i'm trying to convey to you is not how dreams come true,
rather, that they can come true.
maybe not all at once,
but eventually.

i sincerely hope you all have a good day today, folks.
enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment