Wednesday, February 23, 2011

it means something more

this will forever be one of my favorite songs & coincidentally describes (almost) perfectly my thoughts right now.


this semester i'm taking a family foundations course.
surprise!  i'm learning so much about what it means to be married & start a family in the lds church.  with the more i learn, the more i become confident in my dating choices.
i used to think all that really mattered when i was dating someone was whether or not he & i shared similar interests, or if i was attracted to him.  as immature as this sounds, i know so many people more experienced than i who still believe these are the key factors in dating.  i wish so badly i could grant them the same understanding i've now gained through taking this course.  & yet i'd be sure to step on a few toes if i dared mentioned religion was my way of coming unto a greater understanding of what it means to love someone unconditionally.

this may be a little personal for a blog, but
i just want to say i know that one day i will be married to someone & we will have an eternal love.  i no longer live each day feeling ashamed because i'm still single & thinking "everyone around me is finding love except for me. why? what's wrong with me?".  i will continue to live each day working on the person i am & who i hope to become.  if i cannot find the qualities i'm searching for in myself, then how can i expect my future "one" to have them?
as henry david thoreau once said, "i wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, & see if i could not learn what it had to teach".
& so do i.
- - -
cat stevens usually has a way of summing things up for me.
the overall tone of these lyrics just get me right here everytime.

5 comments:

  1. "i've got no time for silly chitter chatter"...love it. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear anna...years ago my daughter alison gave me a mason jar filled with a question to answer for every day of the year. these questions are on brown slips of paper and i just draw and use the question as a springboard to record my personal history.

    if you would ever like to borrow this jar and copy the questions you are more than welcome to. so far it's been a lot of fun.

    and yes i too KNOW you will marry the man of your dreams. i know it...you are lovely, strong and true. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna my dear friend...DO NOT feel bad or weird about being single at such a young age. I found love two times before I found my real, eternal, unconditional lover. I was 28 and not at all ashamed. The thing I'm most grateful for is that I listened to Heavenly Father and found the right person for me and age had nothing to do with it. I just knew that I would either be married in the temple or not married at all. Good luck in your journey of self deiscovery. This is a beautiful time to be cherished. Do not wish it away. Love will come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved this post anna. A. my favorite cat stevens song ever.. because of the line cristie quoted. i loveee it. and B. your class sounds rad. no worries on being single. we are young & have plenty of time. someday we'll be married in the temple with little babies. but until then living young is the greatest thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you all so much.

    one thing confusing me though... "i've got no time for silly chitter chatter" is actually from cat steven's i've got a thing about seeing my grandson grow old, not one of these two. no worries though, i love that song too.

    ReplyDelete