Tuesday, May 17, 2011

bragging time

i just got back from a meeting with my american literature professor, discussing my essay writing & how it can improve.  this meeting really helped me to realize what i was doing wrong & what i could do better.  one funny thing he told me i need to improve on was how i write out my thoughts.  he described my thinking process as something like so: "you give an example of what you're thinking about, & then you explain & explain & explain until [ding!] you finally reach your point."  this made me laugh because i've heard my mom say that about me many times before.

what i want to brag about is what he said before he told me what i should improve on.  he said "one thing i love & is apparent in your writing, is that you are an exceptional critical thinker.  i mean truly excellent.  your critical thinking skills are, like, way up here [lifting his hand high above his head] while most students your age are down here [dropping his hand down close to the floor].  you have these ideas that are full of substance & you're capable of finding specific examples within the text, focusing on it & analyzing what it means.  honestly, most students you have to beat them over & over until they will finally give you an example supporting what they think, but not with you.  that in & of itself is fantastic."

seriously--that just made my day.  it's always nice to have a teacher tell you what you're good at.  especially when what he's complimenting you on, is the very thing he's been lecturing the class on in needing to improve.  

oh, another funny thing, today i was wearing my rolling stones t-shirt
& that same teacher told me that it was cool & it gives me street cred.

1 comment:

  1. the power of a good teacher...so underrated. xox

    and, how smart of you to catch the bouquet!

    ReplyDelete