Monday, October 10, 2011

cautious hesitation

i look at the roses.
i admire them.
i would like to have one of my own,
but i've heard they don't smell that good.
i picked one once,
to see how it smelt,
but my finger was pricked by its thorn.
i have a scar where the thorn dug in.
so i'm afraid to plant a rosebush
in my garden.
not only could it prick me,
but it could die & ruin my garden.
instead, i gaze into my neighbor's
& watch.
i watch their roses blossom & bloom.
my garden is filled with beautiful flowers
like acacia,
chrysanthemums,
edelweiss,
& rhododendrons.
but no roses.
oh, how i long for those roses.
the beauty of just one rose
far surpasses the sweet scents & vibrant colors
any other flower has to present. 

yesterday,
my friend generously offered me
a rosebush seed
to plant in my garden.
excitedly, i accept the seed.
so, i gather my gardening tools
& go out to my garden.
as i kneel on the grass,
i look for a spot to plant my rosebush.
there is plenty of room everywhere i look.
in fact, my garden looks at me
rather emptily.
i hesitate.
& as i try to decide where i ought to plant my seed,
i begin to wonder if i should plant it at all.
what if it's a bad seed?
what if it dies
& spoils my beautiful garden?
i would have to build a new garden.

i look down at the seed,
& i turn it over in my hand.
it is small,
round
(it's almost like a circle),
& light brown in color.
how do i know if it's a good seed?
how do i know it won't spoil my garden?
how do i know if it will die?
all i have is the word of my friend.
i cannot hold this seed forever;
it will not last unless planted.
even then, 
it might not grow.
it might die
& i'd be left
to weed out the dead roots.
i've worked hard on my garden
& it's so beautiful,
but still...
it's empty without a rosebush.

maybe i could go to the store
& look at the rose seeds they have for me to buy.
perfectly packaged rose seeds.
no, i don't think i will.
i don't think i would like any of those seeds.
this seed is just as good as those.
i like this seed.
its imperfectly circular figure
fits comfortably in my hand
& it comes from a friend.
although,
i don't know how much this friend likes me.
they've given me a rosebush seed,
so that must mean something.
but they haven't called to see if i've planted it
or not.
maybe i should return it to them.
perhaps they have someone else
they'd rather give it to.
after all,
when i offered them
a sunflower seed,
they didn't really want it.

i have a few days to decide
what to do with this seed.
i'd love to have a rosebush
with deep red roses blossoming & blooming
all over it.
but i'm afraid to plant it,
for fear that it might not grow
& ruin my garden.
i'll sleep tonight
with one question on my mind.
which is worse?
to not plant this rosebush seed
& live with a beautiful but ultimately empty garden,
or
to plant a bad rosebush seed that destroys my garden
& leaves me to put exhausting effort into building a new one?
do you know?
i think i do,
but i don't want to admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment