Tuesday, January 11, 2011

byu would

i walked into my science class today, & sat down in a new seat.  not meaning to eavesdrop, i heard what the two people behind me were saying.  it went something like this,
boy: "...yeah i'm more into the astronomy of it all.  when we get into the biology & stuff, i hate it; so borrrrrring."
girl:  "oh, i know! & this might sound terrible but, i already have my mind made up when it comes to evolution & stuff so i really just don't care."
boy:  "yeah, same.  when that one girl raised her hand on the first day & said she wanted to go into evolution & genetics, i was like, noooo way.  i could care less."
girl:  "seriously!  who knows what she's thinking? it's so boring.  i'll stop listening..."
blah blah blah.
i couldn't help but snicker to myself.  i was "that one girl".
then, to make things even better, this kid next to me (who had been staring at my binder ever since i sat down) asked, in a feeble attempt to spark conversation,
"did you do that?" referencing the drawing on my binder.
me:  "huh?  oh, yeah."
kid:  "oh, get bored in science class?" clearly a statement full of hilarious irony.
me:  "actually it was more of a bored-while-abroad doodle."
kid:  "i was gonna say, if those are just your doodles, i'd love to see your real stuff some time.  you must be way good."
me:  "haha, eh, yeah. i'm no artist."
teacher, while walking in late:  "sorry class, i'll be just a minute."
kid:  "oh, by all means, take your time."
me:  silent.
kid #2 (sitting on the other side of the kid):  "did you do your reading?"
kid:  "no, this stuff is boring."
blah blah blah.
through out the class period, this kid made several more attempts to catch my blonde, artistic eye with his science-hating statements, as if to say, "hey babe.  i'm cool because i don't like science, even though i look like a total nerd".  he never caught on to my silent response to his questions, or my continually raised hand full of curious scholastic questions.
at the end of class, he made one last comment.
teacher:  "well, we'll see you next time."
kid:  "unfortunately...haha?"
me:  smile.  (you know, one of those no teeth smiles, with slightly raised eyebrows, as if to say "yeahhhh, right" with only the slightest trace of sarcasm.)

this school is full of funny people.

No comments:

Post a Comment