Sunday, March 25, 2012

i'll show you where my demons hide from you

i am not a very strong person.
i revel in the severity of my emotions.
when i feel the deep pang of sorrow,
the kind that crumbles your insides & curdles your cries,
although i can't stop the pain,
i love the profound ability to feel;
to be aware of my living body & consciousness.
the same love exists for almost any range of emotion,
particularly, joy, excitement, & sorrow.
i am one of those girls who gets so excited or full of happiness
that i can't seem to contain it:
i clench my fists, jump, stomp my feet, & release small yells
all while wearing a smile on my face.
when i am alone or when i'm with someone i feel secure with
are when my emotions manifest themselves in full.
after closing my bedroom door on a romantic night
i reveal my inexplicably wide grin,
throw my hands into the air & sink to the floor.
i dance around my room singing,
fall back onto my bed daydreaming,
my insides twisting with joy.
then, when i'm sad,
i cry.
after a mandatory battle with my desire to be unharmed,
i eventually succumb to momentary weakness.
driving alone in my car, i yell out my disparity.
i cry for the turn of events.
i sing sad lyrics through the sobs & blurry vision.
& after i have seemingly cried my heart out,
i park the car to allow my red, blotchy face to normalize.
but the images & words keep flooding my mind with salt water,
that seeps into my eyes & onto my sweatshirt.
that's when i roll the windows down,
take two deep breaths & finish my drive home.
just two days ago, i was sweeping our kitchen floor when
a particular song came playing its memories on my ipod & in my heart.
what did i do?
well, i was alone so i had no trouble enjoying the sweet misery of
what was & could have been.
but it was a beautiful day, & as i shook the dust off our rugs,
i heard a robin singing.
the loss of my sight amidst the dust & wind
allowed me to focus on what i could hear & feel;
the sun warming my skin,
the robin's gentle song,
& a lyrical memory fading in the background.

life has a way of carrying people in & out of our life,
bringing with them all these moments of joy, sorrow, & excitement.
i will forever cherish these moments & long for the day when i can look back on them,
recalling the way i felt, but not having another bittersweet emotion tail-ending it.
for although i love the power of deep emotions,
i look forward to the day when i regain the stability to balance them out.




No comments:

Post a Comment