Sunday, March 6, 2011

"i'd tell you i love you, but i'm thinking of a better way to say it." - timothy mcsweeney

for those of you who don't know me-- ah, who am i kidding?  anyone reading this knows me.
ok, so, for those of you who didn't know this about me:
i fall in love with people's writing.
sometimes, when i read a line i just think, "wow." & then i feel a combination of jealousy, awe & attraction towards the person who wrote that line.  ok, not always do i feel attracted to them, but seriously... when that guy wants to make me his own one day, he's gotta make my knees go weak through his sentence structure & word choice.

so i've been reading in crime & punishment all day, & just barely i ran across the line
"the black snake of wounded self-esteem had preyed on his heart all night."
& boy, did my knees start a-knockin' in awe.
dostoevsky's ability to convey such an awesome & terrible power with his words stuns me.
i just had to share it with you.

2 comments:

  1. whenever i read a translation i have to wish i could read it in the language it was written. great choice of sentences to share. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I had the sense of coming home to myself, and of having found out what a little circle man's experience is. For Ántonia and for me, this had been the road of Destiny; had taken us to those early accidents of fortune which predetermined for us all that we can ever be. Now I understood that the same road was to bring us together again. Whatever we had missed, we possessed together the precious, the incommunicable past."
    MY ANTONIA

    not so much for the rhythm...but the idea of Destiny.

    ReplyDelete